Wednesday, December 28, 2011

More ovaltine, please.

Remember those corny commercials for Ovaltine that you always hear on the radio? "More Ovaltine, please!"  Well, when I was pregnant my mom just happened to bring over a jar of Ovaltine, claiming it was WONDERFUL to eat and WONDERFUL for you.

Ok, Mom.

But she was right (aren't they always?).  The only problem: as I got further into my pregnancy dairy products sounded d.i.s.g.u.s.t.i.n.g.  So after having Liza and having returned to a lover of milk, cheese, yogurt and ice cream, I was thinking of some chocolate milk and saw the Ovaltine hanging out in the cupboard this morning.  Then I realized I hadn't eaten breakfast.  

And this is where the newest version of Chocolate-PB Oatmeal began (You can check out my first version back on the old blog, here).  Even though I'm enjoying Christmas break, this is DEFINITELY something you could pre-portion and take with you to make at work.  Plus, if you use REAL rolled oats compared to the over-priced package stuff, you're sure to get some added nutritional benefits such as fiber and iron (here's more on that)  and it seems to do the trick to keep me filled up till lunch.  Add that to the fact that it tastes like a hot no-bake cookie and I'm sold :)

Here's how it's done:

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup oatmeal
1 cup water (or milk or use half water, half milk)
3.5 Tablespoons Ovaltine
1 Tablespoon (heaping) Peanut Butter (I make my own...more on that soon)

STEP-BY-STEP:
[1] Mix the oats and liquid in a big microwave safe bowl (I use an over-sized coffee mug).
[2] Microwave for 3 minutes.
[3] Mix in Ovaltine and peanut butter.
[4] Let it cool for a bit, then enjoy.

A few oatmeal tips & tricks:
--I bring a big bag of rolled oats to work.  That way, I can just pour some into my mug (that also stays at work).
--Have a water cooler where you work?  Use the hot tap water and then you don't need to microwave for quite so long.
--Pre-portion Ovaltine and pb in small containers and then you have a quick, filling breakfast for the week. 


 


Disclaimer: we were not paid or perked by Ovaltine.  They probably don't even know we exist...we just like the stuff.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment; we'd love to hear from you!